Thursday, September 10, 2009

New York's Newest Urban Fashion Trends

Maybe I am completely out of touch with today's urban fashion. Perhaps I am just "too white". But I can't help turning up my nose at the fashion statements that some people do in this agitated New York City. Fortunately for all of us, I have only seen it here, and it is so ridiculous that we might never see it spread anywhere in the country or the world. On the other hand, New York is famous for spreading its ways, whether we like it or not. Example, we all know that the whole "t-shirt" on top of long sleeved shirt became famous thanks to New York and its people. Lucky for me, I never caved to this horrible nightmare. Some close friends, on the other hand, still think it is fashionable. The newest trends, especially within the black people and the hispanics in the outer boroughs of New York, is to:



1 Leaving the information sticker on your baseball hat.

Mostly on New York Yankees baseball hats. This is mostly a latino-slash-black thing, but I've even seen Asians doing it, which makes the nightmare even more profoundly horrifying. Not because I don't like Asians, but because Asians look awful when they try to imitate blacks or hispanics. They probably look even worse than caucasians. So the new thing is to buy a baseball hat, to leave the visor as flat as possible, and to leave to information sticker in plain view. I don't know why this is supposedly cool. Maybe they want people to know that they can afford a new hat? Maybe they want to show what their head size is? It is beyond me. I have even seen some cases where the sticker was obviously peeled off, and then reattached. The poor little thing barely hanging with the second hand glue that is used anyway.




2 Wearing low, very low pants.

Yes, we know you are proud of your boxer shorts. We all know that if you do this, you probably don't have a girlfriend, and the only one that sees your dirty undies is your momma when she does your laundry. But lets face it, this is not only horrible, it is also extremely inconvenient. I've had the misfortune of buying pants that are two big for my waist. It is extremely uncomfortable to walk, and have the feeling that your pants are falling off of you. To some people, this is exactly what they want. Some are a little more conservative, they only allow about 60% of their undies to show. Others, are a little more outgoing and show all their underwear and even some leg. In school, bullies used to pull your pants down to torment you. Now, people do it to themselves. But let alone the fact that you look like a total dork in need of professional mental help, isn't it completely complicated to walk like that. Not only do you walk like a retarded penguin, but if you hit a rock or someone shoves you, there is a high chance that you will end up on the floor, face down, and (really now) looking like an idiot.





These two new trends really bug me. I think people look completely stupid, and I think I have the right to NOT see some guy's undergarments. Am I right? I just hope for the sake of everyone who doesnot live in New York, that these memes don't spread. And they were afraid of swine flu?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

FYI the fashion trend of wearing pants low with the underwear showing is something that got started in prisons. However, it was not a fashion trend at first. You see, when they give prisoners their uniforms, they basically give the same size to everybody, more or less. However, the prisoners whose uniforms were too small for them had pants they could not pull all the way up, and that’s how that insanity really got started.